The Centre at Salisbury

Mall's State
Address
2300 N Salisbury Blvd
Phone:
410) 548-1600
City/County
Salisbury
Zipcode
21801
Year Opened
1990
Number Stores
100
Hours of Operation
Mon-Sat 10am-9pm Sun 11am-6pm
Mall Photograhy
The Centre at Salisbury
Mall's Background

Construction began in April 1989 on The Centre of Salisbury, on a 57.9 acres (23.4 ha; 0.0905 sq mi) parcel. The mall opened for business on July 27, 1990, located just 3 miles (4.8 km) north of the Salisbury Mall, which was built in 1968. The opening signaled the beginning of the end for the aging Salisbury Mall, which came about when it became obvious that an extension of the Salisbury bypass from U.S. Route 13 north over to U.S. Route 50 west was necessary to relieve the downtown congestion. It is no coincidence that The Centre at Salisbury is situated such as it is, at the juncture of two major highways—enjoying on the one hand, local business from U.S. Route 13, and beach traffic from the bypass on the other. The Centre was built at this location with that vision in mind. The Centre opened with anchors Hecht's (became Macy's in 2006), Boscov's, JCPenney, Sears, and Montgomery Ward (now Regal Cinemas).

The newly built Centre at Salisbury was able to attract more upscale establishments that were absent from the Salisbury Mall, including amenities that were standard at most regional shopping malls, like a food court and a modern 10 screen multi-plex theater (later 16 screens). Before, most shoppers would have to travel more than two hours away to the Baltimore/Washington, DC., Norfolk or Philadelphia metropolitan areas to shop upscale stores.

In December 1995, Macerich acquired the mall from developer Salisbury Springhill Ltd.In December 2013, Macerich Salisbury LP sold the mall to Rouse Properties.On January 15, 2014, it was announced that the JCPenney store would be closing as part of a plan to close 33 locations nationwide.[JCPenney closed on May 3, 2014.